Thursday, March 17, 2011

Whole Class Response Ideas Using Two Apps


I am constantly looking for ways to get my entire class to respond to answers so that everyone is involved in the learning and so I can quickly assess the learning. I have found 2 apps that help with this all student response strategy: The Flashlight app and Doodle Buddy.
FLASHLIGHT APP: My class uses the free Flashlight app (link below) to show the response to a question.  The app is really easy for the students to set up to show different colors on the screen.  For a lesson on ounces and pounds, if ounces was the correct measurement for an item then the students showed green, if pounds was the correct measurement then the students showed red.  This way the teacher can check the students' answers quickly and quietly and everyone is responding.  The flashlight can be set to show many different colors so there is the possibility of many different responses.


Free Flashlight App

DOODLE BUDDY: Another app that can be used as a response system is the Doodle Buddy app (see link below). Students can respond with short answers on this app.  They use their fingers to write an answer and then hold it up for me to check.  This is really easy to check if the students write large and if the answers are short.  Of course there are many others ways this app can be utilized. This app also allows students to create texts or draw pictures, add in "stamps"... There are many other uses for this app other than the idea listed here.  Check it out! Send me your ideas through comments on this post!  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the student response app ideas. I have also used Scribble Lite for this same purpose. The kids write using their finger and can shake the iTouch to erase (like an etch-a-sketch). You can also import pictures and questions if you want to get fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in the Flash light app but I am not able to access your link. Can you give me that link please?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete