Monday, April 4, 2011

Difficult Technology Day- It Happens!

Days like today can discourage the use of technology.  Here's the saga:
This weekend I spent almost 6 hours creating a video for a Geometry review.  This one I created on my Mac and recorded it on my Mac in Smart notebook.  I also tried converting it using Handbrake.  It seemed like everything had worked well and I was pleased with the outcome, so I arrive at school VERY early today (7:15) excited to sync my new video to the iPods.
The first discouraging moment was when I realized that the form Handbrake converted it into was not successfully syncing to the iPods, so I quickly sent it to Format Factory on my PC, reformatted it, sent it back to the Mac, and then we had a successful sync!
So- I thought things were great and we were over the first bump of the day, but NO- when the children were watching the video, my voice and the pictures were NOT in sync.  It was frustrating for them and for me. At that point in the lesson there was nothing to do, so I had the children complete their review as best as they could and I went to work on recording the video again on the actual Smart board this time!
The video is now recorded for the second time and reformatted ready for syncing in the morning. Hopefully, it will be better this time.
All of this to say-- be careful when making the videos in Smart Recorder.  It definitely needs to be made on the Smart board not the Mac and so far Handbrake is not working for this task.
Oh well- hopefully tomorrow will be more successful with technology!
On the bright side-- Look at my wonderful students in the pictures below as they are working and learning so hard using the "messed up" video. I love their efforts as much as they love mine!


These are some of my precious, hard-working students!







No comments:

Post a Comment